[Tango-L] Estimates about the number of foreigners in milongas -Was: Re: Leaving for BsAs tomorrow

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Wed Nov 14 00:37:23 EST 2007

I went to Niño Bien both Thursday nights for the two weeks I was in Argentina a couple of months ago. My dances were split about 50/50 foreigners/porteñas, although I am not counting the dances with my wife on the first night. At Canning, Gricel and Glorietta most of the dances I got (say 75%) were with porteñas. There were some great dancers at all those Milongas and some terrible ones, but mostly in between the two extremes. I really loved Niño Bien because the organiser was very thoughtful about placing my wife at a good table and remembered her the second week and offered her the same table, a real gentlemen. Also, for the night I was there with her he made sure that although we were on different tables we were close enough to keep in touch with each other and dance together when we wanted. No wonder that Milonga has such a great reputation and has been running so long.

Victor Bennetts

Janis wrote:
The majority of dancers were foreigners (95%) with
only a handful of locals.