[Tango-L] Leaving for BsAs.

Melroy melroyr at xtra.co.nz
Sat Nov 10 02:28:06 EST 2007

A few years ago I was in BsAs. One of the places I went was El Beso.
I hailed a cab and asked to be taken to 'El Beso' and gave the address. I
didn't have a map at that point and wasn't sure how far away it was. Anyway
I got in the cab and we took off into the traffic (always a fun ride in
BsAs). Down Corrientes, then left and along a bit, left down another little
street, round about and then left again, down the street ...... And there we
were, at El Beso ......
Almost across the road from where I started (I was staying the Baun (sp?)
hotel) .... I could have walked  (and did in future).

So, once in, I ordered a beer and sat down to watch as a lesson was being
given.
They were playing Di Sarli. At one point the teacher - Susan Miller - came
over, talked to me a little and told me to sit closer so I could watch
better. That was nice of her!
Well I'm getting to the point of my story soon.
The people learning seemed mainly middle aged and a few younger couples.
They were locals (I assume), not tourists, no English, German etc being
spoken. They were mainly beginners from the looks of things, and it wasn't
coming to them 'naturally'.
It was funny, some of the guys were looking around as if looking for help,
or a quick exit.
So these people were just like people anywhere else trying to learn
something new.

Maybe they'll get better.
Maybe they will realise (or be told) they have no 'gift' for it and try
something else - I just re-read Sergio's post on this 'weeding out' of
ungifted dancers etc, thank you Lucia -
Maybe a high influx of not so good foreigners will make not so good locals
feel more comfortable and come out of the closet. Is this good, or bad? -
Lowering the standard - sorry Janis.

I'm not sure what my point is now - certainly most dancers I saw in BsAs saw
were pretty damn good (assuming they were locals) and also as you (meaning
me) get a little better you may see and appreciate things differently. And
yes, some people are just more 'natural' dancers, wherever they are from.
Thanks, Mel.