[Tango-L] Taxi Dancing

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 18:53:41 EST 2007

A few nights ago I was sucked into watching an episode of "Cold Case" on
  network TV. It began with a woman disappearing as people panicked while
  listening to the Orson Welles radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds".
  (Apparently nobody was listening when Welles said, repeatedly, it was a
  broadcast of "The Mercury Theater".)

  It turned out that the woman had been earning money as a taxi dancer at
  the Palomar Ballroom. (This was during the Great Depression, and her
  husband had been out of work a long time.Her son was going hungry.
  Nevertheless, the husband was he was not happy with this when he found
  out.) One of the female detectives on the case said something to the effect
  that taxi dancing is just one step above lap dancing.

  Supply and demand, I guess. And it's still true today.

  P.S. I don't agree with the fictional female detective.
  WARNING PLOT SPOILER FOLLOWS

  P.S.S. the husband did it