[Tango-L] Taxi Dancing

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 15:56:44 EST 2007

As one who has been approached about being a taxi dancer, I will add my two
cents.

First, I don't think it is an issue about experience relative to cost, so
setting up a price structure is not the way to go.   I don't think anyone should
hire themselves out as a taxi dancer unless they are very experienced, period
! ... usually in traditional close embrace style because that is what is often
wanted. Often the people looking for this are also advanced (but not always)
and just don't want to bother with sorting through the different levels of
experience they might encounter at the milongas, especially if they are visiting
and not know anyone. They just want a nice smooth evening with someone who
knows how to navigate, makes them look good on the floor and leaves them with a
good memory. (And for you sartorial slackers out there, they probably would
want you to dress up. I tend to wear a suit and tie at weekend milongas but dress
a little more casually during the week.)

Also it is usually word of mouth, meaning you are approached about being a
taxi dancer because you are good or have a reputation for your level of dancing.
Advertising yourself as a taxi dancer may or may not produce results because
they still would want someone compatible with their own style. It is better to
be asked because of your reputation. Then the people know what they are
getting. They don't want to waste their evening with someone who is cheaper because
they are less experienced. If you are only in the first few years of dancing,
you shouldn't bother hiring yourself out.

Taxi dancing was common in the Big Band days but was usually paid by the
dance. But the dances were also very crowded with both good and bad dancers, so
paying by the dance worked. I think it works better in larger dance communities
like NYC where there are lots of good dancers and people know they can find
someone to hire, if they so choose, and more importantly, they can afford it
here.
But it also is a job and if the person who hires you is not so great, you can
never show that.
The downside to trying to organize it is that it turns partner dancing into a
public commodity. If too many people start trying to make money by taxi
dancing, then the whole point of going to dance is undermined. I think it is better
that it remains a small exclusive option for those few who wish to indulge in
it.

Cheers,
Charles