[Tango-L] Milagro Milonguero Bus (was Taxi dancer service, NYC)

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Thu Nov 8 00:30:26 EST 2007

Cherie wrote:
<I have a crazy idea to make American tangueras happy, Argentine milongueros
some spare change and a free vacation, and me, rich.  I round up fifty of
the best male dancers from the milongas in Buenos Aires....>

I've had a dream for several years to hold a noche de milongueros in Buenos
Aires before the few remaining milongueros are gone.  This past June I
talked with a milonguero friend about holding it in October.  He would
invite the milongueros, and I would invite the women.   My friend isn't in
the best of health himself.  I compiled our invitation list and realized how
many milongueros are in the hospital or no longer going to dance.

<From Los Angeles we begin a cross-country bus tour to all the cities with
tango communities>

Someone I know has told me that he plans to do this.  He won't be doing a
cross-country tour exactly, but he will be taking two couples from BsAs
around by bus to several cities.

<obviously before Homeland Security and the near-impossibility of Argentines
getting visas>

Lots of young Argentines are obtaining visas--tourist visas, that is, for
the USA.  Milongueros like Ruben Harymbat and Pedro Sanchez were denied
tourist visas.  Many of those who are announced on Tango-A as teaching
workshops in the United States managed to slip through the system and
obtained ten-year B-1 tourist visas for the $100 fee.  They then set up
three-month tours to work illegally in the US, and organizers don't have to
pay their airfare or visa fees.  The organizer of two annual festivals
claims that all his Argentine teachers have artist work visas, although he
has no knowledge of the visa process.

A milonguero could travel to the United States to teach.  It's not
impossible.  Organizers petition the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
Service for a work permit and P-3 visa.  The petition fee is $320, and the
visa is $100.  The process takes six months, but at least they are working
legally in the United States on P-3 visas.

If a tango group is connected with a university, a J visa is another option:
The "J" exchange visitor program is designed to promote the interchange of
persons, knowledge, and skills in the fields of education, arts, and
sciences. Participants include ... international visitors coming for the
purpose of ... demonstrating specialized knowledge or skills.  www.uscis.gov

Pepito Avellaneda taught for only one week in the United States during June
1995.  He entered on a J-1 visa because Northwestern University applied for
it after having already petitioned for his P-3 visa.  Pepito was approved
for both visas, and the US Consulate in Paris issued his J-1 visa for five
years.  The P-3 visa was requested for one week.  I learned this when Pepito
showed me his passport in Chicago.  He could have traveled annually to the
US to teach, but he died the following year.

The International Visitor category is for the exclusive use of the
Department of State. The international visitor shall be authorized to
participate in the Exchange Visitor Program for the length of time necessary
to complete the program, which shall not exceed one year....The objective of
this program is to develop and strengthen professional and personal ties
between key foreign nationals and Americans and American institutions. These
people-to-people programs ... contribute to American knowledge of foreign
cultures.
http://exchanges.state.gov/education/jexchanges/academic/intlvisitor.htm

I have managed to convince two milongueros and one milonguera to compile
curricula, obtain letters of recommendation and get their passports so they
will be prepared to travel and teach. www.totango.net/milongueros.html