[Tango-L] North American tango orchestras/bands

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Thu May 24 00:45:52 EDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007 15:09:55 -0400, "AJ Azure" <azure.music at verizon.net>
said:

> > Disclaimer:
> >
> > For what it's worth I am a DJ.  I started DJing in self defense,
> > because I hate dancing to any old random crap that gets sent out
> > of a speaker.
>
> Not much since a DJ doesn't have a musical education and does not
> comprehend presenting nor arranging live music.

I can read sheet music.  I did junior high and high school
choir.   I used to play tenor and study small group jazz.
I'm not exactly ignorant about presenting and arranging music,
though I was always a sideman and never more than an amateur.

> Isn't interesting that the least musically capable are the first
> to step up to criticize and in no competent way?

Let me turn that around:

Does a person need to be a senior politico, statesman or
soldier to recognize the futility of what my country is
trying in Iraq?  No, 2/3rds of all Americans are smarter
(or dumber, according to your political convictions) than
Mr. Wolfowitz.

Do women need advanced degrees in psychology, sexology or
biology to judge whether certain men shouldn't be allowed
to reproduce?  Absolutely not, they do it all the time.

So to hear you say I need to be a musician to decide whether
some live tango band plays danceable music is just plain dumb.
I've heard good live tango, but none of it in the US.

> It's been said before and warrants being said again, if
> you want live music to improve, help it don't slam it.

Tough love is not help? :)

Live tango is like mayonnaise: tasty but not really for
eating by itself.  Much better on a sandwich, and you can
make a sandwich without it.

Nice big tango communities with lots of excellent dance
partners can happen without live music.  A live tango
scene improves a community somewhat in certain circumstances,
but doesn't suffice to create a tango community by itself.

> The below post is pretty much rude and lacking in basic
> conceptualization of what it takes to actually play live
> music. Try it for a day then criticize.

So you want a little cheese with that whine?  It may indeed
be rude.  It may reflect total ignorance of what it takes to
do live music.

It does reflect years of experience dancing to both recorded
and live music, and lots and lots of feedback from dancers
that I DJ for, both in what they tell me they like and what
I see in their responses to what I play.  The snark factor
just reflects years of disappointment with live tango.

It doesn't take a Ph.D. in musicology or dance to understand
why some music works for dancing and other doesn't.

> Now if you want to make helpful suggestions, more power to
> you but, save the prick-like commentary because, it doesn't
> make musicians want to listen to you.

Musicians already don't want to listen, most seem to think
you know it all.  Must be all that music education.

If I went to work and turned such a tin ear to my employer's
needs, I'd get my ass kicked out onto the sidewalk in a hurry.
Deservedly so.

Take this as a wake up call.  I'm not the only guy spreading
this meme.

> Trust me on this a small community such as this needs
> cultivating of live music

But, we don't need live music to grow our tango communities
as big as we want them.  Dancers shouldn't have to struggle
to communicate our likes and dislikes on your terms.

The corollary is that if we can find room in our hearts
for orchestras as diverse D'Arienzo, Di Sarli, Firpo and
Pugliese, we can surely find room for another of the same
quality.  We have in the past.

> NOT free market system. The main reason is that there is
> not enough in the way of resources nor musicians.

You mean you want charity?

Christopher