[Tango-L] dancers/musicians

Linda A. tangaux02 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 22:45:20 EDT 2007

Hi all,

The impression that everyone gets from this
entire discussion is that there is somehow a huge
impasse between dancers and musicians, and that
neither side can talk without the whole thing
devolving into a huge messy catfight.

However, one exciting trend I'm noticing is that
quite a few tango bands in North America are
starting to contain more musicians who are also
amazing dancers.  Gatos Azules is one such
example.  Conjunto Berretin, Duo Folias, Tango
Lorca and Jupiter Tango Quartet are all led by
extremely talented, musical dancers.  And from
the other side, I know a number of talented tango
musicians here who have taken up dancing.

Surely this development can help facilitate an
exchange between musicians and dancers, because
now we have people who are familiar with both
realms.

However, that exchange *must* be characterized by
mutual respect on both sides.  Negativity will
only discourage newer tango musicians from
wanting to play, and then where will the future
of live tango music in North America be?

The truth is, a number of dancers *are*
increasingly tired of hearing Piazzolla by live
bands at milongas.  To be sure, Piazzolla is
incredible to play from a musician's perspective,
but it leaves dancers stranded.  As much as I
love Michelangelo '70, I don't think it's
socially danceable.  Yet I hear it anyway from
bands, more than once.  We do need music that's
easy to dance to.

On the other hand, one valid concern from
musicians is that if they are asked to *only*
play in the style of Golden Age orchestras,
doesn't that stifle their growth?  Does that not
make current orchestras little more than cover
bands?

I don't think dancers *are* asking for exact
clones of classic orchestras.  It's entirely
possible to recreate some aspects of particular
Golden Age orchestras while keeping the
interpretation fresh and unique.

So far, Keith, Manuel and Ron have made some good
suggestions.  In fact, I'd like to refer to one
great suggestion Keith made a while back:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg02746.html

Let's start from their examples.  I don't expect
these changes to take place overnight, but they
will go a long way toward the improvement of live
tango music for dancers.

I would be curious to know what kind of input
dancers in Buenos Aires have with orchestras.

Cheers,
Linda

____________________________________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.