[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Mon May 14 12:00:42 EDT 2007

 On Mon May 14 22:21 , "Fantasia Sorenson"  sent:

>Ironically, at least to me, the stage dancers who dance so beautifully on
>the social floor don't teach social dancing in their classes. They teach
>bits from showy dancing that they don't even do themselves in a milonga.
>That's the part that I don't get, why Argentines who are such beautiful
>social dancers themselves are so inclined to foster non-social dancing in
>their teaching.
>
>Fan

Professionals will teach whatever they're asked to teach by the organisers. I've
taken private lessons in performance tango from a number of Argentines in BsAs
and, without fail, they have all stressed that the figures were NOT to be danced
in the milongas. On my last trip I learned Tango Nuevo from Gustavo Rosas and
he also stressed at the end of each class - "these figures are not for Canning".
Don't blame the teachers because some students mis-use what they've been
taught.

And Fan is right - every professional dancer I've ever seen in a milonga has behaved
impeccably and has danced beautiful social tango. As I've said previously, tango
is no different to any other activity - the professionals are the best, whatever
style of tango they're dancing - show or social.

Keith, HK