[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

Linda A. tangaux02 at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 11:58:11 EDT 2007

Ok, first I'd like to thank Fan and Manuel for
their excellent posts about stage dancers.   For
the record, Keith, I have nothing against stage
performers.   No, I have never danced tango on
stage, but I don't subscribe to the argument that
stage dancers are walking time bombs in the
milonga. Jorge Torres, while oft-cited, is a
great example of someone who dances as
beautifully at milongas as he does on stage.  So
are Julio and Corina, for that matter.  The list
could continue.

Secondly, my remark about Igor was a gentle dig
on how often he has talked about social dancing
over the months, but ironically brings in a clip
of something choreographed (although also
high-quality) and calls that a better example of
the dance in question.

*That's* why I'm amused.  It was merely an
observational statement, Keith, so be easy.

On the other hand, I personally would not feel
comfortable speaking in absolutes about something
I know nothing about (in this case, house
dancing).  But clearly, there are braver souls.

Lastly, my "Ooh! Stage!" comment was more of a
dig at, and reference to, the whole social/stage
tango debate in general.  I realize people have
differing opinions, and the argument is not going
away anytime soon.  :P  But the whole knee-jerk
reaction of "stage dancers have cooties" is kind
of funny, if also a touch irksome.

-Linda

____________________________________________________________________________________Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.