[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon May 14 12:04:58 EDT 2007

> Fantasia wrote:
> Ironically, at least to me, the stage dancers who dance so
beautifully on the social floor don't teach social dancing
in their classes. That's the part that I don't get, why
Argentines who are such beautiful social dancers themselves
are so inclined to foster non-social dancing in their
teaching.

> Fan
Hello Fan:
I can only guess social dancing isn't emphasized in classes
is because they give the public what they WANT which is NOT
what they need. I remember Valeria Solomonoff wouldn't teach
me volcaldas until she saw me lead a calesita. She wanted to
be sure I could take a woman off her axis without dropping
her.

Volcaldas, colgaldas, and sexy moves are provocative titles
for classes. A class title "Learn how to move correctly" is
NOT sexy and probably considered too basic by dancers who
need it the most.

It seems beginners want to take intermediate classes.
Intermeidates want to take advanced classes. Advanced
dancers take beginner classes to make sure they didn't miss
anything on the first pass.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Getting ready for the NY Tango Festival July 19-22

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango