[Tango-L] Tango is not a pose

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:18:27 EDT 2007

Deby's point is right on the mark. Not that one is required to dance
once around the floor in a tanda. That's just a nice consequence of
taking your time with the music.

One of the greatest deficiencies in tango dancing I see in the US is
that most dancers are always in a hurry. They are either ahead of the
music (if they are even paying attention to the music at all) or their
steps are too long so they don't have time to collect their balance
and they are falling over their feet. A lot of this is the consequence
of thinking of tango as a sequence of steps rather than as a
connection to partner and music.

Enjoy the music. Take your time. Several very good tango instructors
I've experienced have emphasized that one should be 'almost a little
bit late' in keeping with the rhythm. Also, enjoy the pauses. Tango is
not a race.

Ron