[Tango-L] Tango is not a pose

Marisa Holmes mariholmes at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 11:57:44 EDT 2007

> There are actually pauses in the music in case you
> might not have  noticed.  There actually places in
> the music where one is supposed to pause and dance
> in place.

There are also types of music which are marked by
rhythms, tempos, and melody lines that suggest
movement through space during much of the song.  These
types of music include almost all valses and many
tangos.

> The best milongueros will tell you that in the set
> of 4 you should only  be able to go around the floor

> once.  If the man can meet the woman and say good
> bye to her in the same place, it is considered a
> compliment.

It seems to me to be rather sort of a stunt which
privileges calculation, elitism, and a vaguely
antisocial desire to control others' expression over
response to the music, the space, and the partner.
Only someone monomaniacally determined to dance
"correctly" will find that they take the same length
steps and move at the same speed when the room is
large and uncrowded and when it is small and full of
other couples.  And only someone whose appreciation of
music is entirely overcome by a frenzied need to be
more-authentic-than-thou will dance the same way to
vals, milonga, tango, d'Arienzo, de Angelis, Troilo,
you name it.

Marisa