[Tango-L] Chris UK Comparing tango gods to mortal teachers

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Tue Mar 27 05:35:35 EDT 2007

Hi Anna,

Sorry, I guess "hate" was too strong a word and I should also have said
'group-class teachers' - even including the great Gustavo Naveira. Chris
has expressed the view many times that group classes are the main reason
why people have difficulty in learning Tango. Of course, we all accept
that private lessons are vastly superior to group classes, but who can
afford to pay Gustavo Naveira US$180 per hour - or has that gone up
since I last checked? Even a reasonably-priced private lesson will be
around US$50 per hour in Buenos Aires - probably more in Europe.

Your comment regarding "direct teaching by dancing with someone" presumably
refers to ladies [i.e. followers] only. What about the guys? And what about
the ladies who are either not young enough or not pretty enough to attract an
experienced leader who is prepared to take the time and trouble to show them
how to dance? And, don't forget, teaching Tango during a a milonga is generally
recognised to be a major no-no. So where will this "direct teaching" occur?

Keith, HK

On Tue Mar 27 16:09 , Anna Zelenina  sent: