[Tango-L] Chris UK Comparing tango gods to mortal teachers

Anna Zelenina desdelasnubes at web.de
Tue Mar 27 04:09:58 EDT 2007

Keith,

I have been following the discussions on this list for some months
and I thank the list members for the variety of opinions expressed ;)

>  hates teachers in general
By reading the messages I could not detect hate in the criticism. Of course
there is always the possiblity that I lack of understanding the nuances
because I'm not a native speaker.
IMHO criticism of teaching methods or teachers does not necessarily express hate.
On the contrary, subjects exempted from criticism
"become the subjects of just suspicion, and cannot lay claim to
sincere respect, which reason accords only to that which has stood the
test of a free and public examination." (Immanuel Kant: critique of pure reason)

>  but I was surprised
> a few months ago when he described a class he took with Gustavo,
> at which he said he could learn absolutely nothing. Doesn't seem
> possible, does it?
Ways of learning can be different. A critical approach to class teaching, may it
be of argentine or other origin and a preference of "direct teaching"
by dancing with someone is something that does not surprise me.
I guess it's a question of individual experience.

sunny greetings from Old Europe
Anna