[Tango-L] Molinetes

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 18:12:48 EDT 2007

I think the "jury is out" on this distinction. I have recently adopted the following distinction which works when I talk with those I practice with.

I use term "molinete" to describe the sequence where the man rotates and the woman "circles," and "giro" for the sequence where both the man and the woman "circle."

In case of a "molinete," the common axes of rotation usually coincides with man's stationary leg and that side of his body (right side if the molinete is on his left, and left if it is on his right); although, it may move from his right to his left depending on sort of movement he makes with his "free" leg and how close the woman is "circling.".

In case of a "giro," the common axes of rotation is between the two and they both circle around it. Both partners circle in the same direction, although the  distance between them may very quite a bit at different point of rotation..

In both cases, "circling" is done using some form of "grapevine" (back-side-forward-side) sequence. In case of a giro, both can use the same sequence in the same time or they may use it in "out-of-phase" fashion.

(I use term "man" for the partner who initiates the sequence and
"woman" for the partner who chooses to respond, so these roles can
dynamically change at just about any time.)

Of course, there are numerous variations on the theme and various combinations of the two which makes the whole thing so rich and open to creativity.

...dubravko

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
   this life is not a rehearsal