[Tango-L] Canyengue as a musical term rather than a dance style.

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Mar 15 17:15:16 EDT 2007

Dear friends , follows some words , will explain below the meaning

Ocili oco muele Suku a sola oluali, wa eca Omolahe ongunga hati ,wosi o tava  kokuahe ka ka nyolehe, o ka kuata muele omuenyo kopui.

This is umbundu/quinbundo, one of the  36 dialects that are still spoken in  Angola, an african country over the atlantic ocean . Although the official language of the country is portuguese, being an old portuguese colony, later independent.

This words are taken from John 3:16
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

It is not the purpose of this comment to spread the Godspell into a tango community, but to present the way this dialect is spoken, since in umbundu/quinbundu , ka llenge was the word to design a dance made by local african natives.

There is certain uncertainty in considering the canyengue as special musical term or a tango arrangement of music.

As far as I can found in local books of Buenos Aires, the word  ka llengue came to America with the slaves, it changed locally to canyengue, and was used to describe the dances of the afroamerican slaves in America .

There are some books on afro american culture in the basin of Rio de la Plata, written many years ago by an argentine researcher, Ortiz Oderigo, which are being recovered from oblivion , by a local university specialized in alien cultures,m with a department of Afro American cultures.

This research on canyengue meaning, is part of a silent and patient work from this author, Ortiz Oderigo, and is good o spread the news I think

take care
alberto