[Tango-L] Canyengue as a musical term rather than a dance style.

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 16:24:35 EDT 2007

Wow!  This is some beautiful information :)

Thank you very much!!

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Canyengue, technically speaking in musical terms,
> means slapping the [double] bass, pioneered by
> Leopoldo Thompson around 1910:
> http://www.elportaldeltango.com.ar/english/orchestras/English/firpoingles.htm
> http://www.todotango.com/spanish/creadores/lthompson.asp
> It was also popular from around 1920 in jazz, mainly
> New Orleans.
>
> Robert Farris Thompson tells us:
> "Canyengue in music is like the term duende in
> flamenco.  Like the term salanc in the folk music of
> Cataluña.  Salanc in Catalán, duende in Spanish, swing
> in U.S. jazz parlance, all of the above.  Canyengue
> means you know how to swing, you've got the flavor,
> you're culturally appropriate.  And the first
> historical notice – one of the first – Canaro, the
> great orchestra leader, Canaro had a black bassist – I
> call him the Cachao of tango, a big, powerful black
> bassist -- and his name was Ruperto [Leopoldo]
> Thompson.....  And Ruperto was famed for introducing
> [percusses] drumming the side of his bass.  And also
> striking, sometimes drumming, the strings.  And he
> started the tradition of canyengue, that is, the
> drum-izing, or turning melodic instruments into
> percussion instruments. And that is canyengue, when
> percussion begins to dominate at highly sophisticated
> levels, which is one of the definitions of swing, then
> you've got canyengue.  And if you dance with a kind of
> rhythmic flair, you have canyengue."
>
> http://www.afropop.org/multi/interview/ID/86/Robert+Farris+Thompson-2005/
>
> I haven't been able to hear the Piazzolla piece Igor
> refers to, but there presumably should be some
> bass-slapping on it. If not, Piazolla might be
> referring to the "social" meaning of the word, i.e.
> "sleazy-like, uncouth". Remember that Piazzolla
> constantly went back to the roots of tango, in
> reaction to the very polished stuff that was played at
> the time.
>
> http://www.planet-tango.com/lyrics/elchoclo.htm
> http://www.blackwellassociates.com/tangoterms.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy.
>
> --- "Barnes, Bob" <BBarnes at mpr.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi-
>>
>>Canyengue is a whole can of worms when applied to
>>classical musicians.
>>Jazz musicians instinctively know how to swing and
>>how much or how
>>little to add depending on taste.  Your example of
>>Sidney Bechet (early
>>dixieland) and Glen Miller ("In the mood", about 30
>>years later) is apt.
>>The earlier music did not have as much swing as the
>>later ones.
>>Different musicians added different amounts of swing
>>to a phrase.  For
>>instance, check out the difference between Louis
>>Armstrong and Miles
>>Davis playing "Bye Bye Blackbird".  Armstrong's 8ths
>>are very linting
>>and uneven, where Davis plays much stratighter 8ths.
> [...]

Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw Associates PLLC
business, technology, entertainment and media law
"practical legal solutions for creative people"
Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
734 668 4646 v  734 786 1241 f
http://www.arborlaw.com

"When grain is made into refined white flour, more than 30
essential nutrients are largely removed.  Only four of those
nutrients are added back in a process called "enrichment."
Using this same logic, if a person were robbed of 30 dollars
and the thief then returned 4 dollars to his victim for cab
fare home, then that person should be considered "enriched"
by 4 dollars, not robbed of 26." -- Elmer M. Cranton, M.D.

Updates in business, technology, entertainment and media law

a r b o r l a w   --   http://www.arborlaw.com/blog/