[Tango-L] Canyengue as a musical term rather than a dance style.

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 16:11:44 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Canyengue, technically speaking in musical terms,
means slapping the [double] bass, pioneered by
Leopoldo Thompson around 1910:
http://www.elportaldeltango.com.ar/english/orchestras/English/firpoingles.htm
http://www.todotango.com/spanish/creadores/lthompson.asp
It was also popular from around 1920 in jazz, mainly
New Orleans.

Robert Farris Thompson tells us:
"Canyengue in music is like the term duende in
flamenco.  Like the term salanc in the folk music of
Cataluña.  Salanc in Catalán, duende in Spanish, swing
in U.S. jazz parlance, all of the above.  Canyengue
means you know how to swing, you've got the flavor,
you're culturally appropriate.  And the first
historical notice – one of the first – Canaro, the
great orchestra leader, Canaro had a black bassist – I
call him the Cachao of tango, a big, powerful black
bassist -- and his name was Ruperto [Leopoldo]
Thompson.....  And Ruperto was famed for introducing
[percusses] drumming the side of his bass.  And also
striking, sometimes drumming, the strings.  And he
started the tradition of canyengue, that is, the
drum-izing, or turning melodic instruments into
percussion instruments. And that is canyengue, when
percussion begins to dominate at highly sophisticated
levels, which is one of the definitions of swing, then
you've got canyengue.  And if you dance with a kind of
rhythmic flair, you have canyengue."

http://www.afropop.org/multi/interview/ID/86/Robert+Farris+Thompson-2005/

I haven't been able to hear the Piazzolla piece Igor
refers to, but there presumably should be some
bass-slapping on it. If not, Piazolla might be
referring to the "social" meaning of the word, i.e.
"sleazy-like, uncouth". Remember that Piazzolla
constantly went back to the roots of tango, in
reaction to the very polished stuff that was played at
the time.

http://www.planet-tango.com/lyrics/elchoclo.htm
http://www.blackwellassociates.com/tangoterms.html

Cheers,