[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first, teaching history

David Liu dwyliu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:15:07 EDT 2007

Jeff,

Some things come to mind:

THE EMBRACE
- The facing is more frontal, with her sternum and hips usually facing
the centerline through your body
- Her arms should have her elbows relaced and down, rather than up in
a traditional ballroom position, with a gentle pressure between her
left upper arm and forearm and the parts of your body that they
contact
- Her right arm likewise has the elbow down with a gentle pressure

WEIGHT CHANGES
- Ballroom dancers often change weight when they shouldn't - she
should only change weight if you lead a weight change, otherwise
everything else that happens is a step.  This often comes up when
transitioning in ochos or  a left-foot-basic for example.

Just a few common differences from Ballroom.

Best,
David