[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first, teaching history

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:18:15 EDT 2007

>Focussing on details of foot placement, specifically telling a
>beginner to land toe first, is a huge distraction from more important
>things, like standing upright, walking boldly forward, walking in a
>straight line, leading the follower, learning tango steps.
>
>More than that, the focus on toe first creates bad habits and really
>weird walking. Again, it isn't about the foot placement, but about
>what happens in the torso, hips and upper legs. Normal, "sidewalk"
>walking is a great foundation for tango walking. Details of foot
>placement should come later when the student has balance, posture and
>confidence.

You are totally right on this Tom. I'd even go so far as saying that
focusing on almost all the finer points of technique can be a huge obstacle
to learning to dance tango. One of the worst problems I see is that some
dancers lean forward so much that they are always falling. I guess they are
focusing so much on "leading from the chest" form that they miss the whole
point of standing on one's own axis. A more natural way of moving is crucial
for dancing and any exaggeration must be avoided if possible.

Manuel