[Tango-L] CITA begins in BsAs

miamidances@aol.com miamidances at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 00:50:12 EDT 2007

  Hola Tangueros y Tangreras
  I would like to ask Janis how you started with your Tango dancing.  Did you have any dance training before Tango? Did you start with lessons? Did you go to BA and learn on the dance floors at the Milongas? I personally like Janis, she is one of my friends. At this time I think that these answers would be good for our discussion and for everybody. Janis is a jewel to dance with, if you know how to lead.   Sometimes we forget how we got to where we are in our dancing. Learning to dance is a growing process. We must start at basic levels of dance steps and technique, then advance to more accomplished levels of dance steps and technique. I remember how good I though I was after two years of dance. I remember how good I though I was after 5 years of dance. I now know after 30 years of dance how little I know and how much I have to learn.    How does that saying go? The more we learn, the more we realize how little we know. May he rest in peace, Mr. Carlos Gavito said many times the more you learn the less you will do on the social dance floor.     IMHO any Tango event that you go to will be a benefit if you have an open mind to learn what is being taught and discussed. If you continue to go after five years you are going for the pomp and circumstance of the event. I love it. I think that these events are great to go to and participate in, to enjoy the friendships that we have developed over the years.    Learning thru lessons and dancing socially are both necessary in the process of learning. Someone that does not take classes and only goes to Milongas or parties is missing the most important aspect of the process. Lesson’s first, Milongas and Parties second.   Viva CITA, go Fabian.   Randy in Miami