[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:40:19 EDT 2007

IMO most of the great tango dancers step toe first.  What is understood as
Salon style in the USA is supposed to be elegant, the body erect, walking
toe first and long steps.

This is the tango walk as taught by most of the Argentine tango teachers
traveling through the USA.

Nito, Carlos Copes, Osvaldo Zotto, Miguel Zotto, Carlos Copello and many in
Buenos Aires like Mingo Pugliese, Puppy Costello, Fabian Salas, etc.

In some way (IMO) the tango walk imitates that of the Compadritos of the
beginning of the 20th century.

I have observed many tapes of many tango teachers in this respect: most of
them land on their toes first or at least on the forefoot but not 100 % of
the time. They occasionally land heel first, mostly the second step of the
right molinete.

The only ones dancers of Salon (as understood in the USA) that teach
heel-first are in my neighborhood of Villa Urquiza, mostly in the Sunderland
club; but even here, when the dancer is seen from the front his foot should
not show the sole too much. Lampazo (also from Villa Urquiza, used to teach
both at Sin Rumbo and at Sunderland) was very elegant and landed toe first.

Observe yourself in front of the mirror: walk toes first as it should be, in
one line, with external rotation of the leg, (this means that you land on
the little toe first rather than on the big one); then walk heel first,
showing your sole a lot or little and decide which is best for you and which
style of tango walk is more elegant.

The dancers of Milonguero (as understood in the USA - the style taught by
Susana Miller)  will step with the foot 'flat' with shorter steps shorter
steps.  Here we are concerned with lack of space dancing in crowded places
for ourselves and not with elegance and sobriety.

In many situations to do the tango walk (IMO) 'heels first' is a sign of the
dancer not being Argentine (not that this means anything), it could point to
the fact that he comes from ballroom dancing as well where as you know we
mix toe-heels with heel-toes.

So (IMO) the instructor should teach the tango walk that corresponds to the
style he is teaching.

Best regards, Sergio.

Ps. I am still in Mar del Plata where there is a Movie Festival this week.
Due to this there are many other cultural activities going on such as
teaching tango for free in the street and then in the evening a small
outdoors milonga in a space close to the Cathedral.  Many of my friends went
to Buenos Aires for CITA (cosmotango).