[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 09:31:09 EDT 2007

Hi Timmy.  Your way of choosing toe-first or heel-first
based on how fast you wish to travel is part of the
picture, and I think is correct for some degree.  But I
think other facets have started to emerge for me just from
this difference in stepping.

And Sergio touches on something that I have long noticed -
that Argentines are far more concerned about looking
elegant than Americans.  Their culture at milongas promotes
this, as well.  As he also mentions, Susana's style also
sacrifices elegance for stability, which I think is useful
for beginners.

One thing I am interested in is how to create that elegant
look in a way that is not artificial.  Stretching out my
core muscles more as I described in my original email seems
to be an answer.  And also explains why Argentine teachers
are much more demanding about posture than most American
teachers.  I can now feel that my leg starts high up in my
chest (my free leg, not just my standing leg).  People talk
about it, but it isn't always easy to feel it internally.

But is also a question of finding myself or seeing others
in certain situations and trying to figure out why that is
occurring.  If I understand that, then I can better avoid
telling people something that can be misinterpreted.  And
perhaps free up students to make an informed choice about
their style of dance.

There are other facets I am exploring that seem related to
walking toe-first or heel-first, but I am not quite ready
to articulate those yet.  Hence, my interests in what
thoughts others have.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/