[Tango-L] Practica Reviews

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Mon Mar 5 14:49:04 EST 2007

I agree with Chris, and would add that even in group classes it's
important to learn everything in the ronda (line-o'-dance) context. If
you learn moves in place, you can only do them in place-- which leads to
exactly the problem being discussed. (Even if I'm teaching privates,
practicing in an empty room with a partner, or doing solo drills, I try
to respect an imaginary ronda. Why waste the opportunity?)

Moreover, I don't believe much _choreography_ is even possible without
partner connection. The connection may have a different purpose, mood,
or technique than in improv, but willy-nilly it's got to be there. To
deliberately neglect it while practicing anything, irrespective of
style, seems about as wise a choice as trying to bicycle in a straitjacket.

Now, I understand the need to stop and work out positions, analyze
movements, and so forth. But the customary place to do it _in public_ is
the center of the practica floor-- the eye of the ronda (where the
sharks are)-- provided a ronda exists in the first place. But even
there, line of dance is somewhat observed (unless you're simply
insensitive to it); the shape is just folded in on itself considerably.
I've observed the same thing at milongas.

Otherwise, practicing in place is better done in a corner, or elsewhere
_away_ from other dancers.

I don't see how anything can be gained _effectively_ by shirking these
things. Dancers who short-change any quality self-training opportunity
are only setting themselves obstacles. Laziness and ego are what
discipline and respect for technique should overcome, not excuse.

But hey, I'm a nonconformist.

Jake Spatz
DC