[Tango-L] Videos of Dancing at Milongas

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Thu Jun 21 00:34:06 EDT 2007

All,

First and foremost let me notate clearly that I hear the concerns of
the posters in question.

Secondly, I am sensitive to these concerns, and I have abided rules
when they are clearly posted or stated to me directly.  Like for
example, when at the Boston Festival this past week when the
organizers stated AFTER THE FACT that videoing the PERFORMANCES was
forbidden, after I had already shot 2 of them, I dumped the video
immediately.  I could have quite easily posted it on YouTube...but
that wouldn't have been in the spirit of things.  Event though the
request came AFTER the video had already been shot.  And I thought
the event was less than desirable, I still thought that people needed
to see the performances.

Thirdly, I've posted on my own blog what I thought people would want
to see of events. Most people visit my site because they know that I
blog about these events.  Those that are far away and can't get to
the festivals or events live vicariously through the video experience
for 4 minutes.  Take for example this past weekend at the Boston
Festival - while the event was a bust, about 4500 ppl visited my site
in the last 4 days.  Or Denver, about 6700 in 5 days.  And just so
you're clear those are *UNIQUE* hits, not page loads, and not repeat
visits, all unique visits in a 7 day period.

Having said that...let me respond fully to the posters in question
since I am one of those 'offenders', I'm going to chime in here.

I fall into the camp (considering I'm one the doers) of providing a
rather necessary service to SEE and HEAR what an event is like.  Its
a public place and you can do what you want, and unless otherwise
indicated I shoot a video for an event that I haven't been to before,
so that anyone else who wants can take a gander of the room and
quality of the dancing.  I personally don't mind being video'd. I
would tend to think that anyone running a milonga would WANT
publicity and having a review of the event is one thing, but having a
video of the event is another!  It shows the room, the atmosphere,
the style of the dance that's in the room, the quality of dance
that's in the room on that night...etc.  A picture is worth a
thousand words.  A video is worth a small essay on the event.

Those are all good things as far as I'm concerned....

If someone doesn't want to be video'd, there's a simple way to not be
video'd, don't be in the shot!  Another is to approach said
videographer *ahead of time* and ask not to be included.  Simple.
Because these are public places, the legalities of the public spaces
comes into play.  Its just like a news team taking footage of a
public event and the laws around that experience are rather clear,
its public domain.

I hate to disagree with my esteemed posters, hoping to bait me into
an argument here, but the simple fact is that public domain law is on
the videographers side here.  And these events because they are
publicly noted, they now become open to the public, and are therefore
NOT private events.  We can debate this singular issue till we're
blue in the face here...and I strongly suspect given this group that
you folks will.  For my part in it I'm taking myself out of the
discussion....I've said what I needed to say here.

On a personal note, I've had many organizers come up to me after I've
posted about their event and THANK ME for the free publicity!  At the
same time, I've got hundreds of emails in the last 7 months that I've
been blogging about my experience as a dancer, that have thanked me
for the 'service' I provide.

M i l e s