[Tango-L] Videos of Dancing at Milongas

Kace kace at pacific.net.sg
Thu Jun 21 02:45:06 EDT 2007

Gary Barnes wrote:
> Gen Y tend to think so differently about privacy that its almost a
> generational issue -- if you're happy to post pictures of yourself
> passed out at a party, milonga footage is unlikely to worry you

I was born in the gap between the Boomers and the start of the Alphabet
generation,
which puts me in the age group responsible for being the initial
adopters and/or
developers of most of the technological sea-changes in our world -- home
PCs,
Internet, Tivo, camera phones, ipods etc.

So suffice to say I am a big supporter of embracing technology to
digitize everything
interesting around us for the benefits of future generations.  Like it
or hate it, this is how
culture is transmitted and disseminated today.

I agree any event organiser has a right to forbid filming, but in
today's world this is
becoming increasingly bypassed.  Event organisers seldom benefit by
stopping tourists
filming, in fact such recording are usually good publicity for them, and
help to bring in
more visitors in future.

So dancers who enter a milonga populated by another 100 strangers cannot
expect
it to be a "private" affair.  If you can expect to be filmed when you
board a bus,
sit in a cinema hall, or watch a baseball game, you can expect the same
at a milonga.

Instead of getting upset, why not take control of the situation?  People
can choose
where they go to dance, and they can post their own approved videos.
People who
crave privacy should  not dance on the street or in big milongas open to
tourists,
instead they can opt for privately organised events or house parties.

Like the old saying goes, you can't change other people, but you can
change yourself.

Kace
tangosingapore.com