[Tango-L] Videos of Dancing at Milongas

Gary Barnes garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jun 20 22:03:25 EDT 2007

I don't like people posting milonga footage, in general - largely
from the privacy point of view. I would prefer not to have random
people, who weren't there, watching and judging our dancing. A
milonga is not a performance. The shared experience of a milonga is
not a public performance for others who weren't there to pick apart -
notwithstanding that anyone can come into the milonga by paying the
door price.

But in this case, any argument about legalities is a red herring.  It
is a moral question. Referring to laws in various countries is not
going to help much -- even if laws somewhere proscribe it, they are
clearly unenforceable, and will be local anyway.

Gen Y tend to think so differently about privacy that its almost a
generational issue -- if you're happy to post pictures of yourself
passed out at a party, milonga footage is unlikely to worry you!

So on this, I just regard myself as a grumpy old man and try to
dissuade people from unnecessarily posting stuff that shows an ersatz
representation of something that should be carried in the hearts and
bodies of those who were there -- even if that does make it perhaps
harder to judge which milongas to go to.

I still think its worth thinking through, and taking a stand where
necessary. I imagine I'll be about as successful as the slow food
movement -- maybe 1 in 10000, but worthwhile nonetheless.

OTOH if you enter a competition, and the form says they can use the
footage for anything they like, well it's you signing the form, and
you make your choice.

my 2.2 c
Gary

grumble grumble grumble