[Tango-L] Dance Teacher Business Practices.

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Wed Jun 20 17:43:12 EDT 2007

Here is an interesting exchange about Dance Teacher Business
Practices, between me and the President of Tango Colorado (who
happens to be a lawyer):

My wife Mel complained to me the other day that she had a $600 credit
for ballroom privates she contracted for a couple years ago, but
never took, and I expressed astonishment that the teacher had refused
to return her money. This got me to thinking on what constitutes good
dance teacher business policies.

I'm putting this out because I'm completely appalled that Mel's
ballroom teacher, a long-standing professional in Denver with her own
studio, would have such shoddy business practices.

This is a personality-driven, personal recognizance and word-of-mouth
business. My business reputation depends on treating people fairly
and reasonably.

FIRST PRINCIPLES

(1) Before signing up for a big package of classes, as a consumer you
should do your homework, check out several different teachers, find
one who works best for you in personality, style and skills. Read
their bios, and ask around. Only then should you commit to a package.

(2) Such a package is a contract, Services in exchange for payment.
Payment seals a contract, but a Check (bank draft) is itself a
contract, a promise with a signature to give someone money. The
little "for box" at the bottom is a good place to remind yourself,
and the teacher what was promised. Cash is fine, but then you don't
typically have a proof of purchase.

(3) Different teachers have different refund policies. Bad business
practices would be to refuse any refund. Reasonable business
practices might include refund minus a handling fee.

My policies include the following:

(1) Goup Classes: Typically I offer a $2 per class discount if you
pay by the month. This needs to be used the same month. But, if you
miss a class, I can often offer a makeup at a second class that same
month. I don't roll these forward.

(2) Private refunds: I'm happy to refund all money for any reason,
less classes taken and considering quantity discounts that might have
applied when you bought the series.

(3) Festival Refunds: Refund of pass payment if you can't attend the
festival minus about 10% for handling and credit card fees. (I can't
do partial refunds, as I don't have records on partial attendance,
and the pass discount is so large... 25-35%).

If anyone feels I owe them money or classes, please contact me, as I
sincerely wish to deliver what was promised, or refund with no hard
feelings.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
2525 Birch St
Denver, CO 80207

Tom,

As a dance teacher you should be aware that this very situation is
covered by the Colorado Consumer Protection Act (CPA), which includes
a provision that sets forth requirements for contracts for dance
lessons that are in excess of $500.  In essence, a dance teacher who
offers and sells such a package has to: (a) be bonded, and (b) use a
written contract which includes specific provisions obligating the
teacher to refund the amount of all unused lessons (less a 10%
administrative fee). The contract must contain the following:

YOU, THE PURCHASER, MAY CANCEL THIS CONTRACT AT ANY TIME DURING THE
TERM OF ITS EFFECTIVENESS. YOU MUST GIVE WRITTEN NOTICE TO THE DANCE
STUDIO THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE FURTHER BOUND BY THIS CONTRACT. THE
NOTICE OF CANCELLATION MAY BE SERVED IN PERSON, BY TELEGRAM, OR BY
MAIL TO THE DANCE STUDIO AT THE ADDRESS STATED IN THIS CONTRACT OR AT
THE LOCATION WHERE DANCE LESSONS ARE CONDUCTED. WITHIN THIRTY DAYS
AFTER RECEIPT OF YOUR NOTICE OF CANCELLATION, THE DANCE STUDIO SHALL
REFUND TO YOU THE CONTRACT PRICE LESS THE COST OF GOODS AND SERVICES
ALREADY RECEIVED BY YOU AND AN AMOUNT OF LIQUIDATED DAMAGES EQUAL TO
NOT MORE THAN TEN PERCENT OF THE COST OF THE REMAINING GOODS AND
SERVICES.

Violation of the CO CPA is deemed to be a "deceptive trade practice,"
and an aggrieved party can sue the offender and recover triple
damages plus attorney fees. In addition, the aggrieved student can
look to the bonding company for recovery and let them go after the
deadbeat teacher.

The reference to the statute concerning dance contracts (which is
part of the larger CPA) is: http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll/
Infobase4/947d/949f/94a1/9825/989d?f=templates&fn=fs-main-
doc.htm&q=6-1-705&x=Advanced&2.0#LPHit1

Thanks,

Jeff