[Tango-L] Videos of Dancing at Milongas

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Wed Jun 20 19:20:17 EDT 2007

on YouTube, websites or milongas, Tom Stermitz pointed out that the line
for a presumption of privacy is gray rather than black and white.  I
agree, but I think that with the help of organizers such as Tom, we can
draw the lines more distinctly.

Tom said the following are clearly public:
Street photos (Google Street?) are public because people do not have a
specific expectation of privacy in public spaces.
Photos taken at an outdoor milonga at a public park

and the following are clearly private
A photo of you inside your house is an obvious invasion of privacy.
Photos taken at a private party milonga in somebody's house

Actually, the public use of images created in public places depends on the
legitimacy of the relationship of the image to the news and on the
standing of the news organization.  For instance, a news organization
cannot claim that crimes are being committed in Cheesman Park, Denver and
illustrate it with photos or footage of dancers at a milonga in the park
because the dancers have no relationship to the news story.  A private
individual also has somewhat less standing in the public use of images
than does a news organization.

Tom also pointed out some shades of gray:
Photos at a professional stage performance.
Photos at a professional or amateur performance (ballroom  showcase?)
Photos taken at a public milonga within a hotel or ballroom at  large
public event (festival)
Photos taken at a milonga open to the public at a Restaurant,  Bar, rented
studio, ballroom....
Photos taken at a class or workshop

In all five of these cases, the organizer has the right to set the
conditions for admission including banning photos and videotaping.  In the
first two cases, organizers frequently announce bans on using cameras or
video recorders.  Try taking your video recorder into a see a Broadway
play.

Many instructors and organizers ban the use of video equipment to tape
instructors teaching in classes, workshops and festivals.  Students are
allowed to video tape themselves.

To my knowledge, no organizer has yet banned the videotaping of their
milongas.  Maybe it's time they did.

With best regards,
Steve