[Tango-L] "You'll both be in a lean.."

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Sat Jun 9 14:40:00 EDT 2007

Hey list,

steve pastor wrote:
>   Regular dancers are almost always better off to share some weight, or
>   forward energy, with their partner. At the very least their weight
>   should be toward the leader. The more weight is shared, the closer
>   you get to using the label "apilado"
Can we just call it "forward energy" that should be shared-- or better,
given to the partner? I mean, one's weight should be on the floor, NOT
on one's partner, if this lean is going to work at all. To angle the top
of one's axis into the embrace still requires it to be an axis... and if
that axis is straight, it will be conducting the upper body's weight
downward _through the dancer's own body_.

To give one's partner (again, as opposed to the floor) any weight almost
always results in discomfort, if not disaster. No?

Jake Spatz
DC