[Tango-L] "You'll both be in a lean.."

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 17:28:21 EDT 2007

These "slogans" : "Stay on your own axis" and "Keep your own
balance"?, are in my opinion responsible for much confusion.
  When followers hear this repeatedly, and try to do it, they end
  up feeling like they are not there to the leader, and often find it
  difficult to feel the lead. They also have a tendency to walk away
  from the leader when walking backwards.
  Very good dancers can "stay on their own axis",  "keep their own
  balance", and still provide an adequate connection. However, in the
  extreme, it is possible to be so light that the woman can't be felt in
  any substantial way.
  Regular dancers are almost always better off to share some weight, or
  forward energy, with their partner. At the very least their weight
  should be toward the leader. The more weight is shared, the closer
  you get to using the label "apilado".
  Tango is not dancing separately together. It is dancing together.
  When I want to stay on my own axis and keep my own balance, I go line
  dancing.

Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:
  Trini said:
"..You'll both be in a lean and should feel a
stronger pressure during the initial part of the step."

( continuing "Tall Tango Dancers":
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/%7Ellynch/Tango-L/2006/msg04900.html )

Dear Trini,
How did you come to understanding that lean helps in this situation?
How about those slogans: "Stay on your own axis" and "Keep your own
balance"?

Igor Polk
http://www.virtuar.com/tango/articles/2006/apilado_position.htm