[Tango-L] Effective Practice

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Mon Jul 30 07:16:39 EDT 2007

Igor,

Don't you bother to read what people write?

 On Mon Jul 30 12:41 , "Igor Polk"  sent:

>I think Chris wanted to say that without actual couple dancing one can not
>progress in tango in particular no matter who hard one practices alone.

No Igor, that is not what Chris is saying. If it was, everyone would be agreeing with him.

>As with everything else practicing is important for progress, but the main
>activity is more important.
>And without the main activity how can one know what to practice!?

Igor, I agree with you, Chris does not. Just read his posts and don't put words in his mouth.

>Igor Polk
>Keith, HK,
>It seems to me you oversimplify things.
>
>Can YOU "grab a beginner and show the girls" how to dance? You think it is
>so easy?

Yes I can Igor and yes, I do think it's so easy. And every good dancer on this List can do the same. Unfortunately,
for every good dancer who does this, there will be many more bad dancers who will try to do it and mess up the beginner.
Sometimes, they mess her up so badly, she leaves and never returns. I've seen it happen to my own beginner
students and that's the problem. And, for the record, I'm not talking about loss of income - I'm talking about the loss
of a potential tanguera, the possible loss of many hours of delightful dancing with a new partner - all lost because
some jerk dragged her around the dance floor and made her feel like a fool.

Keith, HK