[Tango-L] Woman's Left Arm Position

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Fri Jul 27 18:28:54 EDT 2007

Keith>  girls are imitating Andrea’s left arm position, which is with
Keith> her left hand low down around the man’s back. You can see it in this

Chris> Whenever I've seen Andrea dance socially (e.g. during the years she based
Chris> her dance school in London), it was with a more regular embrace. Somewhat
Chris> like this:

I find the two embraces almost identical. The small difference probably comes from the more compact embrace they used for the milonga and the fact that the guy is maybe a little bit taller.

This type of embrace is - in my experience - means a strong and quite parallel chest to chest connection with very little to no weight on the man's right arm...if those girls put weight on your arm, they are imitating this quite wrong. The embrace should feel like you have a woman stuck on your chest and a palm stuck on your back. As for any pressure, most milongueras who used this (on me) were not giving me resistance (for movement) just the constant feeling of connection.

I personally prefer (of course: I am not so tall) the type of close embrace where the woman embraces me all around my back, having her palms under my left shoulder. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCUHZjsHlUo

Cheers,
Aron

Budapest, Hungary
http://www.milonga.hu/