[Tango-L] Women's role - what teacher is better for advanced ladies.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 18:17:51 EDT 2007

Hi Igor,

Here's some food for thought.

What Nina and Razorgirl talk about go beyond technical
skills.  It’s goes to what how the woman feels about
herself, as well.  Her confidence and self-esteem.  Her
belief that she is a partner in this dance.

In an earlier post, Jackie Wong mentioned that although
women advanced faster than men in the earlier stages of
learning tango, they have a much harder time advancing
later.  I believe that part of the reason is their lack of
confidence.  Women who work really hard at their tango also
work really hard at not anticipating, at waiting, at their
actually following and not just recognizing a step.
Planted in that work is the fear of not being "right", of
anticipating, of not getting the lead.  So she’s bound to
have a lot of self-doubts, even with a good leader.

>From her early days, she’ll be exposed to guys who will
teach her on the dance floor.  Even the good ones will lead
a step that may make her hesitate just a little.  And he’ll
repeat the step, she’ll feel a bit more confident this time
and do it correctly.  But it’s still a reminder that she’s
not the one in control.  She faltered.  She’s not the
perfect follower, yet.

Getting past these doubts, even with a lot of training, is
hard.  It finally takes saying "Well, here I am.  Take it
or leave it."   It takes a realization that it’s not about
trying to be like someone else or dancing like someone
else.  It’s realizing its okay to dance as oneself, even if
one is not the perfect follower.

So how does a follower come to this realization.  How does
she decide to take a few risks and try to insert her style
into the dance?   How to become a strong feminine power?
It takes a partner she can trust, someone who won’t laugh
at her or be mad that she interrupted his step.  She’s not
going to get it right at first.  It’s going to take time
and practice.  This realization, I think, is the difference
between high intermediate women and advanced women - to
dance without fear.

If you watch the pisa, you’ll get a sense of this as people
change partners.  People will dance differently with other
partners.  With some, they’ll feel secure and will become
playful.  With others, they dance "straight", only
listening and responding in body but not in spirit.  It's
not just music or steps they are conveying, but trust.

Trini de Pittsburgh