[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Marisa Holmes mariholmes at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 16:31:50 EDT 2007

--- Anna Zelenina <desdelasnubes at web.de> wrote:

> I think learning by watching is a basic skill that
> ALL people have, it's a natural talent, like the
> learning by doing ;).
>
> ... But that doesn't mean it's the way they are made

> and that they could not change that. Everything can
> change.

Hi, Anna,

I'm afraid I disagree.  It _is_ the way some people
are made.  Not everyone is best served by the same
type of instruction.  Some people learn dance better
by watching, some by hearing an explanation, some by
being guided through it.  Most people learn best by a
combination of methods, followed up by practice. Most
people can learn to get something out of the mode of
instruction which is not optimal for them, but they
have to learn to learn that way.  Good teachers teach
through several modalities when they teach a group, to
optimize the experience for everyone.

Marisa