[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Anna Zelenina desdelasnubes at web.de
Thu Jul 26 15:31:25 EDT 2007

Carol,

I think learning by watching is a basic skill that ALL people have, it's a natural talent, like the learning by doing ;).
"observational learning plays an important role in aquiring motor skills throughout the human lifespan".
As detailed in the Dec. 20 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience, researchers, using functional magnetic resonance imaging,
found that when a person watches someone else perform a task with the intention of later replicating the observed performance, motor areas of the brain are activated in a fashion similar to that with accompanies actual movement.
(see Journal of Neuroscience, December 2006 "Modulation of Neural Activity during Ovservational Learning of Actions and Their Sequential ORders", pdf available on the website).
The important part is the /intention/ of replicating.

Observational learning is common, but it seems that the skill is better developed in countries
were people more often practice this, they are more trained to learn by observation.
The dance teaching in countries like Argentina or Cuba develops observation skills:
people dance with you and they also  teach you sequences by dancing and having you watch.
People learn a lot just by observing others in the milonga. And it works.
In Germany, for instance, many dance teachers like to disseminate movements and to teach the dance step by step,
giving verbal explanations of the movements etc. People get used to being served the disseminated dance,
and they won't digest it if it's not divided in pieces. But that doesn't mean it's the way they are made
and that they could not change that. Everything can change.
Todo cambia. Cambia el modo de pensar, cambia todo en este mundo ;)

Anna