[Tango-L] Flaming women (re: ceverett)

Gary Barnes garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jul 25 04:13:31 EDT 2007

Extracted (perhaps out of context)  from what Jake Spatz
(TangoDC.com) wrote on 21/07/2007:

>  Most of us (I assume) can spot a
> permanent dropout in 5 minutes. Why pester them

I think that's the problem I see: we actually cannot, reliably.  And
in fact many of the people I know who dance and love tango were
initially put off by other aspects of their first encounter, not that
they didn't like the dance. And the (slightly artificially
constructed) welcome that they subsequently got, brought them in.

BTW this has nothing to do with financial gain -- I don't get any
money from tango. Its my time I'm wasting, all I might get back is
more people to dance with; and I choose to use some of my time being
welcoming to newcomers. I make an effort to take away some of those
obstacles at first impressions. And that doesn't necessarily mean
sending them to lessons, especially as the first thing.

I can see how if someone is making money from teaching tango, and
isn't interested in building this tango community, then they might be
tempted to tout paid lessons even to people they know won't stick at
it. I assume this happens in those ballroom studios that also teach
tango.  But, those teachers don't even come to practicas and milongas
-- they are not part of the tango community. The teachers who are,
seem to take actually helping people get on the dance floor pretty
seriously, and with some success.

But maybe welcoming people just matters more here, where there are so
few of us. Eg here, there are maybe 40-50 tango regulars (of which
maybe 20 are die-hards), maybe another 50 occasional attenders. And
the next place where there is tango is 3 hours drive, and the place
after that, 8 hours drive. So, if a couple of guys turn up at a
practica and look interested, of course we try to bring them in!

Whereas in a place where you already have plenty of dancers, plenty
of good dancers, and plenty of choices of tango activities, there is
no longer a need to maximise these opportunities.  Maybe then you can
rely on getting enough people in to keep things going, with only
those with that heady mix of a driving desire to take up tango,
together with abundant natural talent. I dream.

Cheers

Gary