[Tango-L] Flaming women (re: ceverett)

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Jul 25 03:21:10 EDT 2007

Christopher,

ceverett at ceverett.com wrote:
> We give [newbies] multiple reasons to be unimpressed.  many reasons have nought to do with the quality of our dance.  I think most often they are not impressed with us as people.

That I sincerely doubt, as most of us are "rather nice people" too, IMO.
> In a small community, it doesn't take much to get them to decide
> that they won't be happy, and so off they go
In any community, sometimes newbies just aren't interested in the dance
they see, whether they appreciate it or not, regardless of our ability.
Not everyone is as smitten as we are. I've met plenty of people who've
tried it, didn't give a damn, and are content to watch if it's in the
same room, but otherwise couldn't care less.

This is why I question the value (except to the teacher collecting cash)
of trying to ensure that everyone enjoys their first lesson, or first
six, or first six months, or whatever. Most of us (I assume) can spot a
permanent dropout in 5 minutes. Why pester them and try to collect their
money for another few weeks? If they like it, they'll return.

Else, let them find something that fulfills who they are, rather than
who we'd like them to be.

Jake
DC