[Tango-L] Rampant serious misunderstandings about "Gustavo"

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:16:21 EDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~ <dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu> wrote:
> Dear Chris, Brian and other tangueros
>
> To hear what should be a machismo tanguero talking of "sitting with tears in our eyes
> watching them dance" really turns my stomach. Men (even more so in the tango world)
> should be men... not wimps (American equivalent, I believe, is "wussy" or something).

Dear Dani,

I think you are confusing, or conflating, being sensitive and
emotional (and not afraid to share it with others) with being weak(*),
inferring the latter from the former. This is faulty reasoning,
however, kind of asuming the outcome or a faulty mathematical
induction. If someone's in a weak position, they may cry, but the
opposite does not follow - that if someone cries, they are inherently
weak or wimpy.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada

(*)Similarly, others in life regularly conflate being diplomatic or
nice or friendly or willing to compromise with being a wimp or weak.
Generally people are being nice or diplomatic by choice, however, not
out of weakness. BTW, women can probably write PhDs on that subject.