[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 15:05:29 EDT 2007

Guys,

   An alternative to dancing with men is to insist
that the followers do not back-lead.  Too many women,
having been shown the steps they are expected to
produce, do them without getting a lead and fool the
leader into believing that he has made it happen.
Thus, we get the 'automatic' cross or the never-ending
ochos going in  every beginner class.  When I have
been asked to partner a beginner, I never move until I
get the lead and they quickly figure out how to make
that happen.  If they try to force a movement with
their hands, I drop my hand from theirs.  If they give
me a verbal lead, I smile and stand my ground.  Maybe
this is why men as followers worked?  Because the men
would not/could not anticipate the lead and would not
be pushed around?

  Let us not forget that the highest compliment one
can bestow upon a follower is that "she waits well."

Nancy

--- "Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com)" <spatz at tangoDC.com>

<<Rito es la danza en tu vida
     y el tango que tu amas
     te  quema en su llama>>
de: Bailarina de tango