[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Mon Jul 23 04:21:41 EDT 2007

Hi Gary,

Gary Barnes wrote:
> But, I find it enormously difficult to convince men of the value of practising with other men - let alone attending men-only classes or practices, or the extreme of attending a men-only intro session.
I know one guy, who's been dancing maybe a year, who refuses to attend
my men-only workshops because he wants to dance with women. (Not that
I've held one lately.) I tell him he's an imbecile. We discuss classical
music intermittently, and I give him dance tips whenever he asks,
although I've still never felt his embrace, or he mine.

If dealing with beginner men who are reluctant to dance with dudes, I'd
call them morons, or pussies, or something to get them riled up-- and
more importantly, over their stupid stone-age barrier. And I'd tell them
(the truth) that my first tango exposure was in another man's arms, and
that I learned the most from that; and if they think I'm full of it,
they can get the hell out of my class.

The two things in common about every Very Good male dancer I know:
    -- They know the value of dancing with another dude
    -- They've taken notes (even if they've discarded them)

If you actually care about helping make better dancers, you'd naturally
be infuriated at men, straight or gay, who are too insecure to dance
with each other, in order to improve. You need tips on persuading them?
Just give a damn, and let them know it.

And if they aren't convinced, tell them to take a hike. If you can't do
that, don't even bother _trying_ to persuade them. Find a man who can do
the job.

Or, just point (and laugh) at the men who walk like Susana Miller.

Hope that helps, brash as it is.

Jake
DC