[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Mon Jul 23 05:44:51 EDT 2007

I think you have to bring back the masculinity of the dance. That you can practice Tango without having all that sensuality (male female connection.)

I get this all the time when I take lessons and there are not enough girls. I do hate it when four guys end up dancing by themselves due to their aversion to dancing with another man.

The best way I have seen it encouraged is when during practise the men and women are split to go over detailed moves. The teacher will take a guy and lead the move for us to see. It all depends on the approach, if the teacher does this in a masculine way, say in terms of more direct and less "gentle hands" the students get used to seeing this done.

I mentioned this before in a previous post about how taken I was when watching Godoy's "Tango Emocion" and the men only scene.

The problem is the stereotype of ballroom dancing. That it is all a bit "showy" and men with men just look, well a bit "showy." It is perception, if you as teachers can show that men are allowed to be men, and encouraged to be strong, "aggressive" and masculine then I see men taking the time to learn with other men.

side note:
I am busy looking around for a male only couple I found the other day on the web. I have lost the bookmark but these guys were amazing to watch. Very inspiring!

'Mash
London,UK

"May we be cautious in our perfection lest we lose the ability to dance."