[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Mon Jul 23 10:26:38 EDT 2007

David and All:

David wrote:
>>For me, the hardest thing about understanding Tango has been the leads.
Most teachers I've encountered (thus far) are good at teaching steps, but
not good at communicating how to lead the steps.<<

Techniques for learning to lead can be embedded in the teaching of steps
patterns or structure.  They are sometimes left to special classes in
technique.  They should be integrated into instruction, but many teachers,
particularly those who concentrate on teaching step patterns, rely on
osmosis for their students to learn to lead.

For myself, I have found the best way for me to learn how to lead any
specific move is to fully understand the woman's elements.  For that
reason, I always get frustrated in the typical class where the instructors
show the step together and then divide the class into two parts--one for
the men's step patterns and one for the women's step pattern.  I want to
understand the woman's part.  Once I understand that, I can lead it.  Once
I can lead her movements, my own footwork follows.

Developing leading skills in classes on structure can be particularly
useful because leading skills are general to the movements.

With best regards,
Steve