[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

dchester@charter.net dchester at charter.net
Sun Jul 22 10:19:38 EDT 2007

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.  I think I understand what you are refering to.  When discussing tango with my wife, I have been refering to this as either the geomtric or analytical aspect of the dance.  There are lots of way to model things, and your model makes as much sense as anything I've heard thus far, and it appeals to the analytical side of my personality (although I'm a beginner so my thoughts probably don't mean very much).

For me, the hardest thing about understanding Tango has been the leads.  Most teachers I've encountered (thus far) are good at teaching steps, but not good at communicating how to lead the steps.  I still haven't really figured out if leading is more of a science (technical) or an art (but it seems like there should be a way to explain/teach this without taking a year).  For me that's the biggest problem I have with tango.

If someone could come up with a model for how to lead, they'd get a lot more men to stick with it.

Regards,

David