[Tango-L] Rock step?

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Mon Jul 23 12:15:08 EDT 2007

Deby,

I believe we have a confusion about terminology.

When I was going to Marta Fama's group class in Palermo on Wednesday
night, she was teaching some milonga traspie stuff that looked awfully
like what I learned as a "rockstep" here in the USA.  As Manuel says,
it's also known to many as an "arrependita".

The rockstep (as I understand it) isn't a core piece of tango by
itself, because the woman isn't being led to collect.

However, there's a important kernel of wisdom hidden here: a man
needs a surprisingly small number of basic elements on his part to
dance tango adequately.

This same number of basic elements is also all he needs to be a
great dancer, if we believe the distance between adequacy and
greatness is measured in terms of embrace, posture, technique,
musicality and quality of movement as well as repertoire.

Christopher