[Tango-L] Rock step?

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sun Jul 22 22:25:27 EDT 2007

Well when I learned to rock and roll 1000s of years ago we were taught a
rock step.  In tango? Hmmm....well none of the milongueros I have ever
danced with ever did any rock step stuff with me.  But then I am blond
so maybe I just didn't notice....I have never been rocked stepped to
return to a closed position of the feet.  To be honest Ron, reading your
post I was trying to figure out just what is being danced.  It sounds a
little complicated.    The only thing I can think you are thinking of is
the giro.  Giros should be smooth.  There is no rock steps.  They just
go.  When done correctly, there may be a slight pause for the woman.  I
have my own style where I am suspended on the side movement on one leg
(don't try this at home....). Could you be confusing a back step to the
music as a rock step?

On another note Janis and I were at Celia's together tonight.  We were
talking about this rock step thing. Neither one of us knew what it was.
Then she danced with a man.  When she came back to the table she went
"He rock stepped me!!"  It was a unique experience.  So I guess I would
have to stay, rock stepping with the milongueros I dance with is not a
core structure of the dance.  Who is coming up with these words "core
structure?"  God, it sounds like a positional paper for a management
consultant not people who are supposed to be enjoying dancing.