[Tango-L] Rock step?

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Mon Jul 23 12:49:30 EDT 2007

Milonga traspie is not the same as tango.  It is danced well as an added
step with a changing of weight rapidly between the beats.  One must move
faster to allow that extra jig.  The reason most cannot do it well is
because they do "hop" or rock step to get to the next step.  That is the
main reason why I seldom dance milonga.  I feel like I am doing the la
quebradita.  There are very few teachers who can teach milonga traspie
well.   The majority in my experience teach it as a hop or a rock step
and that goes for Argentines as well as anyone else.

In the ocho cortado, the giro, there is no rock step.  There is a shift
of weight on the woman (or as you guys like to neutralize - the
follower).  In the ocho cortado that keeps on going - back and forth
between feet,  the weight is shifted back and forth to each foot.  The
difference between it looking sassy and looking clumsy is the ability of
the step to be well followed as change of weight.   The change of weight
from the woman is NOT a rock step.  It is a slight movement.  In the
giro it comes across as a hesitation.  This also comes from the changing
of weight.

When I watch people dance from wherever they may come, I see this
rock-step action.  Please don't slam for this, but it is usually from
foreign dancers who have not been taught how to subtlety lead and follow
this step.  They have been taught it as a rock step.  This is probably
what Keith from HK meant when he said it is not danced here.  You don't
see an exaggerated rock step here unless it is with people who are just
learning or do not dance well, and even then you don't see it that much.

Perhaps this is all just silly semantics.  For me a rock step from my
era....was a much harder based step.  Nothing elegant about it.  A giro,
an ocho cortado, and whatever other "steps" you want to call them should
be elegant.