[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 19:15:47 EDT 2007

David,

You've hit upon a very important issue. In tango, next to learning how to
move yourself, you (as the man) need to learn to impart your intention
(lead) to the woman. This is one of the most difficult things to teach. It's
probably not that your teachers are not good at communicating how to lead
the steps. It's rather that it's very hard to make someone else feels what
one feels when leading.It's a liitle bit like trying to describe a color to
a person blind from birth. Or better yet trying to explain to somebody how
to ride a bicycle.....

We've been teaching people to dance tango for nearly 15 years. Over this
time I've tried all sorts of stratagems to impart the "leading" technique to
beginning men dancers (and a few women as well). There is no single thing
that will do the trick. Some guys seemingly learn by osmosis, some listen,
watch and do it, some never quite get it. Sometimes "leading" the guys to
move a step in a given direction will help them. I'm continually saying to
the leaders to "lead the woman, make sure she's received the lead and then
follow her". Really, the key to it is to recognize that the man is always
following the woman after each lead he imparts to her.

The devil is in the details. How do you lead something? Is it with your
hands? Is it with your chest?.... It is with the totality of your body, as
you learn to move your body through space, you learn to move in a way that
allows you to give your partner a direction and a subtle yet undeniable
impulse to move where you need her to go. This lead comes from your core and
it's transmitted through your arms and chest. The woman then takes this
"lead" and transmits it from her hands and chest through her body to her
legs and feet.... Then she moves and you move along with her to finish that
step before you lead the next one. One thing is for sure, you never lead
with your feet as in starting to step yourself in a given direction before
the woman has begun to move.....  That usually results in  either the woman
getting stepped on or being run over (or both). Once you've gotten a fair
command of leading, your tango will take a huge leap forward in skill and
enjoyment.

I think this is a pretty clear and accurate explanation of leading (and
following). However, I doubt that it would do much  more good than whatever
your teachers have said or done or tried to do in order to teach this.  This
is just one of those things that must be experienced and integrated by each
person...

Cheers,

Manuel

visit our webpage