[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sun Jul 22 20:59:00 EDT 2007

Manuel wrote:

> it's very hard to make someone else feels what one feels when
> leading.

It's very easy. You get them to follow.

> It's a liitle bit like ... trying to explain to somebody how to ride a
> bicycle.....

It sure is. One wouldn't expect anyone to learn to ride a bike through
explanation rather than direct experience of riding, so why would one
expect different for tango?

> I've tried all sorts of stratagems to impart the "leading" technique
> to beginning men dancers (and a few women as well).

What happened when you tried getting them to follow?

> I'm continually saying to the leaders ...

... without continually speaking to them.

> The devil is in the details. How do you lead something? Is it with your
> hands? Is it with your chest?.... It is with the totality of your body

Not enough. It's with the totality of your body and hers too.

--
Chris