[Tango-L] open and close embrace

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Sun Jul 22 14:49:03 EDT 2007

Hi Keith,

Keith wrote:
> Women love close embrace and I don't understand why so many guys just don't get that.
You're not the only one making broad generalizations around this topic
(pun intended), but I wonder why the bad habit has persisted.

I mostly dance close when I'm out socially, but I've had several women
ask me to dance open & lead more elaborate figures. I mean women who are
fantastic in a close embrace. (They're good open too.)

To say that "women want this" or "women want that" is bizarre, in my
view, even if it's a woman making the claim. We treat women as
individuals when we dance... so why do we write of them as ciphers? Some
women love dancing open and do it well. In fact, I'd say that in my own
observation, 3/4 of hard-line close dancers (who dogmatically oppose
dancing open) are men, not women. And I'm talking about long-term
community members.

All these generalizations do is close doors for people, especially
people now learning. Those of us who are teachers ought to be more
responsible with our language than to dictate preferences, no?

Jake
DC